Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The End of A Beginning

One. Two. Three.

That is the number of days I have left here in Rexburg, ID.

At least, the number of days I have left until the end of my first semester at BYU-I. It's amazing at how much I've learned this semester. The door to a wider world has been opening. I am beginning to see more of the things I never knew of. Its... remarkable.

What have I learned? What are the things that caused the door to begin opening?

Knowledge, of course. College has a lot of that.

Wisdom. Something gained through experiences.


Being the oldest, I imagine myself to be an adventurer, a discoverer. I helped to map a portion of the wilderness so my younger siblings can see what is out there and perhaps make their own adventures a little easier in a certain way.

I've learned of things that are immediately applicable to my life. If it not so immediate then it is certainly going to be helpful in the future.

My HIST 101 class has taught me that you can learn to enjoy a class that normally you might not enjoy. That even when you've changed your minor to something else and you no longer need to worry about the class too much, you still put effort into it. That just the process of doing something that you don't quite enjoy is something worth learning. It teaches you to be always cheerful and positive and looking on the bright side of things. I've learned to love that class for a variety of different reasons, rather then dislike it for one. It has become a worthwhile class just from the attitude I've had.

My SFN 302 class, or as I call it, my Nursing class, is a wonderful one. There are only 12 girls in the class and its a class where we are all there just to learn. We aren't taking the class in order to pass a test, but rather for our own personal use. Its a class where Learning by the Spirit is something that causes miraculous things to be discussed and learning about in the two hours we are in the room. The girls in this class are close. We honestly learn from one another and the experiences we have had.

My General Studies course 105, or College Success, was an extremely helpful class. I just learned about things that I probably would have discovered and learned about well into my Sophomore year at minimum. I learn of things that the college student should know. Like where all the buildings are, and generally what type of building it is. I've learned of strategies to help me acquire and remember the knowledge I learn in my classes. Its been extremely useful.

My Writing Class, or FDENG 101. I love this class. The first day I didn't know quite what to think. The second day of the class I didn't know what to do as my group from the first day all dropped. But as the semester continued it became one of my favorites. I've gained a whole class of friends. The style of teaching was different in this class then any other that I had ever had. But I loved it, if only because it was what I personally agreed with from my High School years. I've recognized the things that are taught were usually already incorporated into my life, but I became aware of them and try to improve them. Things such as writing about what you really care about and for an actual reason. It has been a great semester.

My Book of Mormon 2, or FDREL 122, class has been quite fun. My teacher had surgery and was gone for 4 weeks, but in the meantime we had 2 other teachers, elderly teachers that were well retired from teaching seminary. I've learned so much. I've read the Book of Mormon several times, but learning different lessons from most every verse and discovering the words of the prophets on a particular issue that I had never thought of before.... it was fantastic! I already had a strong testimony of the gospel, but its definitely be strengthened as I read the second half of the Book of Mormon again.

American Foundations, or FDAMF 101, is a great class. Because of the program I was in in High School, I took 3 classes of American History and Government. Much of it seemed repeating, but I always learned something new. This class I expected to be the same thing, but we learned more about the economics and the principles behind our government. I have learned so many things to be applied to my life. I've learned to have better faith in God in the aspects of the economy and government in my life. I've learned how miraculous it was for the creation of our Country and what it has led to. It has been so amazing to be able to have gospel truths and principles taught in relation to both government and economics, things that many people think are entirely separate.

My Intro to English Studies class, or ENG 110, is a requirement for my English major and it has also been extremely useful. It helped me to discover all of what I could do with my major and how to accomplish getting there. Both in school and in the world. It makes me more sure of the things that I have decided to study.

These are only my classes and the surface of what I learned in each of them. But the rest of college has been just as much of a learning experience. I have learned how to love those that are hard to love. I have learned how to live on my own. I have learned how to be more responsible of self and others. I have discovered that a good attitude truly does make a difference. That a smile can mean the world. That life is hard and challenging, but worth it.

I'm wondering what exactly it is that I'll be able to learn the rest of my school semesters. What an adventure.

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ~Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment