Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Family Home Evening

In my student ward, I've been called and set apart as an FHE Group Leader, or in other words the "FHE Mom". I had this calling exactly a year ago and so I have an idea of what to do verses last time when I was thinking "Me?! I'm an incoming freshman!! Are you INSANE?"
Basically, my job entails making sure people are coming, or at least feel a part of a family.
FHE, for those of you who don't know, does not stand for "Family Home Entertainment" movies. Rather it stands for Family Home Evening. "It's a special time set aside each week that brings family members together and strengthens their love for each other, helps them draw closer to Heavenly Father, and encourages them to live righteously."
That's the goal of having FHE.
So in a student ward, this means that a few apartments are thrown together to create a family. The guys are FHE brothers, the girls are FHE sisters, your roommates are still your roommates.
There are two people who are called as FHE Group Leaders for each family; one's a girl and one's a guy. This is why I now have the honorary nickname of "FHE Mom".
Luckily for me my FHE group is pretty amazing.
We had a schedule planned out on what we wanted to do, when we wanted to do it, and which apartment was over what before I was even called. So I just reorganized it, put each of our family members contact info and birthday and e-mailed it to the FHE Dad to see if it was ok. He responded that it was and I proceeded to e-mail to everyone. After receiving an e-mail from my roommate, I realize that I had not actually attached the information to the e-mail, so I sent it out again, this time with the attachment.
In anycase, it can be difficult to plan activities, especially when no one really wants to go anywhere when it is freezing cold outside. Literally freezing cold, not just "oh it's cold" but the temperature says its negative-something degrees.
So I googled FHE activities and I discovered some really useful sites:

But then I remembered a game I played the previous year called "If/Then".
Each person has a strip of paper and writes "If..." and then whatever they'd like. For example someone in my FHE group wrote "If Lady Gaga were president".
Then you fold up the paper and put it in the middle. Once everyone's paper is in the middle you grab one that is not your own and you write on the back "Then..." and answer the If statement. So you could write "Then I'd no longer have any hope in humanity" or some such craziness.
When that is done you fold it again and put it in the middle. Once everyone's is in you grab another.
Then the real fun begins.
The first person reads the "If statement" they picked up, the next person reads the "Then statement" they picked up. That same person then reads his "If statement" and the next the "Then statement".
For example, one person read "If Lady Gaga were president..." and the next person read their paper which said, "Then I'd curl up into the fetal position."
You go around until everyone has read both of their If/Then statements.
You can do as many rounds as you'd like.

It was great fun!
and we didn't even freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment