Thursday, October 18, 2012

Family Mission Statement

A Family Mission Statement is "a written statement of what you want your life and family to be and the values by which you will live your life" (Families with a Purpose).

I've been learning about this in my online Parenting class. One of my assignments required me to write one for myself, or with my husband if I was married. Obviously I am. So for Family Home Evening we began work on a rough draft.

A family mission statement involves the whole family in its creation which means that the whole family has a clear knowledge of what the family values and what the family's goal is. Ideally this means the whole family works together for the goal.


Of course every individual comes to an understanding of what the goals were of their family, but it's not often written down. But as we all know, written goals are better remembered and kept than ones just implied. If they are written, then the family can refer to it to recall the agreed priorities of the family. Meaning that family rules are based up this. It's better to have a purpose with your family than just going through life aimlessly.

It's important though to regularly review and revise the statement as needed. Families grow and change and need that flexibility.

My class also taught that a family mission statement at any point in your life is a very good idea. It helps single individuals, it helps couples without children, it helps couples with children at any age, etc. It guides you and reminds you as to what the family desires and what steps they've decided to take to get there.

There are some examples that can be found at Home-School-Coach.com if you want to see what they can look like.

But it's a really great tool to have. Once my husband and I have a finished draft of our's, I actually want to frame it and put it on the wall so that I see it and remember it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment