Thursday, June 26, 2014

Mormon Women: Introduction

I am a sister, daughter, wife, and soon-to-be mother. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. and I believe that men and women are equal, but different.

There have been news articles for several years mentioning women's groups or individuals desiring through petitions, protests, and legal means to be ordained the priesthood and become ministers in their churches. Recently, there has been a focus on a group called Ordain Women founded by Kate Kelly who are attempting to change The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' policy and have women be ordained the priesthood. The founder of the group was excommunicated just a few days ago for activities that have put at jeopardy others' testimonies and eternal salvation (Deseret News article here). I feel so sorry for her.

I have tried to avoid this topic of discussion because so many individuals become so aggressively passionate about it, and I really try to avoid contention. There are so many other blog posts and news articles and Twitter or Facebook posts, that it can be overwhelming. But I wanted to add my simple little voice to all the others out there.

I want to share with my friends and family my beliefs. How, as a woman of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I do not feel unappreciated or insignificant because I am not ordained the priesthood. I want to express my personal understanding of what the priesthood is. I want to share my knowledge that women and men are equally great and wonderful, just in different ways. I want to share how this Church actually encourages women to become all that they can be and reach their full potential. I want to share how I know this Church is true. That it's directed by God Himself through a prophet, just like in times of old.

I don't know everything. I'm not in any position to declare doctrine. But I can share with you what I do know and what I am learning. To avoid writing one huge post, I plan to write a little series of them. When they are finished, they will be linked to each other at the end of each post.

Mormon Women Series:
Introduction
Ask Questions
The Administration and Membership of the Church
What is the Priesthood?
Priesthood and Women
Women's Divine Gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment