Friday, June 27, 2014

Mormon Women: The Administration and Membership of the Church

I felt so sorrowful for Kate Kelly and her recent excommunication. Some might wonder what the big deal is about excommunication? To understand the significance, you need to understand how wonderful being a member is in the first place.

First off, you become a member where you automatically belong to a local congregation where you are fellowshipped, serve together, support each other, teach and learn from each other, and gain strong friendships. No matter where you move in the world, there is a congregation that will welcome you. You are never without that support.

Secondly, while the members in your local congregation (ward or branch) probably vary greatly in political beliefs, economic status, job and career choices, hobbies and talents, family situations, and personal experiences, all the members are working toward a common goal: eternal life. We believe that there is only one path to eternal life as Matthew 7:14 reads, "Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." We all help each other find that path and continue on it by making and keeping covenants, the first of which was baptism.

Third, service was a part of the covenant of baptism. Members of the Church are always serving. Being a member of the Church isn't just something you sign up for and then do nothing. Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints becomes part of your identity, becomes a part of who you are and what you strive to be. I live the gospel. The Church is a part of my every day life. It's a part of my lifestyle. It's a part of who I am. Having that being taken away would be really difficult. I honestly don't want to imagine what my life would be like without the Church in it.

Some people might ask me why I'd want to be a member of a church that makes women second class or forces them into traditional roles of wives and mothers. The thing is, I'm not a member of a church that does that. In our Church, women and men do not need to be ordained the priesthood to participate in the running of the Church organization. In others, you must be a part of the clergy, which generally means being ordained the priesthood. In other churches being a clergy member goes hand in hand with being ordained the priesthood.

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines clergy as "people (such as priests) who are the leaders of a religion and who perform religious services." In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this defines every single active member. I'm not sure how many of you know this, but the Church does not have a paid clergy. It's all volunteer. Regular, ordinary people who members are asked to hold certain positions in the Church for a period of time. They then fulfill this responsibility alongside their families, their jobs, and their other life obligations. (Read more about "Why don’t Mormons have paid clergy?" here).

Members of the Church do not need the priesthood to be a part of the clergy. Elder M. Russell Ballard said,
Women are integral to the governance and work of the Church through service as leaders in Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary; through their service as teachers, full-time missionaries, and temple ordinance workers; and in the home, where the most important teaching in the Church occurs. Let us not forget that approximately one-half of all the teaching that takes place in the Church is done by sisters. Much of the leadership provided is from our sisters. Many service opportunities and activities are planned and directed by women. The counsel and other participation of women in ward and stake councils and in general councils at Church headquarters provide needed insight, wisdom, and balance ("'Let Us Think Straight'").
I grew up in the Church and have been given many opportunities to participate in its administration, even though I am still young. I have given talks (or speeches) in church meetings since I was 5 years old. Granted, my talks when I was that little were extremely short and simple, but I gave them. When I was 12 and 13, I was a Beehive President. I was responsible for all the young women in my congregation for the 12-13 age group. I was responsible for planning and executing activities for us to do. I learned how to teach. I learned how to run a meeting and how to take minutes. I learned how to take advantage of my counselors (also of my age group). I learned how to execute assignments given and report back to the bishop or Young Women president in councils. I learned how to listen for what God would have me do for the girls I was responsible for. I again had the same opportunities when I was a Mia-Maid (14-15 yrs) and a Laurel (16-17 yrs). Then when I turned 18 and graduated high school, I became a part of Relief Society. Literally weeks after I become a Relief Society sister, I was called to be a Relief Society teacher. I was the youngest woman in my congregation by several years, yet I was asked to teach a gospel lesson once a month to these sisters. I went off to college in Rexburg, ID and since being here I have been called to be a Relief Society secretary, a Visiting Teaching coordinator, a Family Home Evening group leader, and Relief Society teacher twice. This isn't counting the talks, or speeches, I've given nor is it counting visiting teaching other sisters in my wards (congregation).

How can I say that I am not involved in the Church's administration? I have had that opportunity my whole life as an active member.

Now I'm not trying to dismiss the concern some women feel about not being ordained the priesthood. But I'm attempting to communicate that women do not need the priesthood to be participants in how the Church runs. God really has organized this Church. This is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's called such for a reason. It is His Church. (Read "The Importance of a Name").

So to become excommunicated from this Church really is a big deal and so heartbreaking. In the letter the Ordain Women provided, it states to Kate Kelly:
[Excommunication] means that you may not wear temple garments or contribute tithes and offerings. You may not take the sacrament, hold a Church calling, give a talk in Church, offer a public prayer in behalf of the class or congregation in a Church meeting, or vote in the sustaining of Church officers.
She has lost the privilege and blessings that come from being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She has lost the opportunity to partake of the sacrament to renew baptismal covenants. She's lost the blessing of being able to pay tithes and offerings. She can't hold a calling. She is no longer involved in the Church's administration at all as she is no longer a member. That is why I am so sorry for her and her choices.

As mentioned in a pervious post, it wasn't bad that she searched for answers about the relationship between the priesthood and women. It was bad when obedience and faith become conditional upon a certain answer and her actions for seeking answers undermined others progression towards eternal life.

Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been a blessing to me. It has helped me develop valuable qualities such as patience, charity, love, knowledge, humility, diligence and obedience. From talented individuals, I have learned skills I treasure such as scrapbooking, camping, food storage, cooking and baking, sewing, artistry, acting, gardening, and others. I've learned how to give public speeches. I've learned how to prepare and teach lessons. I've learned how to run a meeting. I've learned how to give service. I've learned not to let fear stop you. I've learned how to be a good citizen and community member. I've learned how to be a good person, daughter, sister, wife, and soon-to-be mother. I've learned a great many things through being an active member. I will continue to learn every day.

Mormon Women Series:
Introduction
Ask Questions
The Administration and Membership of the Church
What is the Priesthood?
Priesthood and Women
Women's Divine Gifts

If you want to know more about becoming a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon Church), click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment