Friday, September 16, 2011

Adventure Day

Today was Adventure Day. I love those days. Most of the time. There are requirements for Adventure Day.
1. You must be trying to go somewhere (either somewhere new or on the way back home).
2. You must have a good atitude at all times.
3. You must have something negative happen to you (getting lost, car breaking down, etc).

I went canoeing with my cousin and his friend today. They needed someone over the age of 18 to accompany them. They needed someone with spare time. I was lucky enough to meet both of those qualifications.
Problem. I didn't really know where we were going canoeing. Nor did I know how to use the amazing public transportation system they have here to help me get there.
There = Nidau, Switzerland


I learned how to use the public transportation system today. You get on one train, get off, get on another, get off, get on a tram, get off, walk a lot then you're there.
Simple.
Ya, right.
What's ironic about the whole thing is that the most difficult part I was expecting (switching trains and making sure you don't miss it) was actually the easiest, while the easiest part was the most complicated. Apparently when you are on a tram it doesn't automatically stop at every stop. You have to tell it to stop by pushing a button. So we missed Nidau and made it to some small little town that we learned was not Nidau, after walking around for several minutes. We then start heading one direction and we got to the next tram stop. In Ipsach. The wrong direction. So we walked back to the other stop. Then waited because poor little me was totally exhausted. We got back on the tram headed towards Nidau. We got off at Nidau.
However, that was not the end of it. Oh, definitely not. We were now looking for the lake. It's rather obvious on the map. But when you are on the ground the hills and buildings block it. We saw the river (learned later it was a canal) and tried to figure out which direction it was flowing. We assumed the river would flow into the lake. So we started to head East. If you look on the map that is the WRONG direction. Again.
You see the town called Port? Where a river and the canal meet? Ya. We passed that. See that first bridge on the left? That's sorta where we started. It was beautiful. But I was tired and the lake was not showing up.
So we started walking back. Then my cousin asked directions. The person had no idea. We found a map. YAY! It was under the first bridge where we started. I figured out where we where (from walking along that canal and over the river, so I recognized it on a map). And I learned we had to head North into town and had about 6 blocks to go until we turned left.
By the time we arrived at the canoeing place we were all a little bit exhausted. and hot. It was fun. We went canoeing. I was excited because I could sit. That was fantastic. However, I now had to exercise poor little stick arms and muscles I rarely (if ever) use. We canoed down to Ipsach. Ironic. We canoed back and after an hour we were very very very tired.
So we left after talking to the wonderful Swiss person who helped out us poor, confused Americans.
We got back on the tram. Then we went to Luzern, Switzerland:



It was dark by then. But beautiful and busy. It was fantastic. See the little train symbol? That's where we got off. It's a huge train station. The trains are on the main floor. Underneath them and the streets and buildings outside is a huge shopping area. It was just... amazing. I know that a lot of places have shopping areas like that, but still. I was in awe. Though I guess it could have been because I was totally tired.
We then went to McDonald's right next door. It was the most classy McDonald's I have ever seen. Ever. The seats were amazing. The ceiling was amazing. The menus looked amazing. It looked like either wealthy or young adults went there. It was a place to go apparently. What was sorta funny was that my cousin, who grew up in Switzerland since his toddler years, asked me what McDonald's in America looked like. And I didn't really know what to tell him. "Not like this." Maybe a Switzerland gas station? But not? I had no clue.
After that we went on some famous wooden bridge. And walked by a tower thing that apparently suffered from a fire sometime. It's famous. But I have no idea what the story is there. But I have a picture of it. Oh! Wikipedia says it was built in the 14th century. Makes sense. The thing was covered with huge fat spiders. But I walked on it!
We also went and saw a church. Which Wikipedia tells me is Church of St. Leodegar built originally in 735 and then the current one was erected in 1633. Apparently something happened to the first one. Still beautiful and old. Sadly we weren't able to go inside as it was late (you can even tell the time on the tower). But we saw some of the grounds. There is a cemetery there. It was gorgeous.
After exploring it was time to go. So my cousin and his friend went on one train and I on another. I paid attention and got off at the right stop and got on the right train, then got off at the last stop and then walked up the hill (steep hill) to my cousin's listening to the cowbells and the sheep's bells while seeing the world light up because of the lightening from the other side of the mountains that were headed our way.
That was my Adventure Full Day. I'm tired and sore, but it was totally worth it. I love Switzerland.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely wonderful! I'm sorry you were lost, but now you know you can survive it, Remember when you didn't want to take public transportation from Provo to SLC because you had to transfer? and in SLC most speak English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I get lost in new areas. Unless I have helpful things like maps. But that only works when I know where I'm coming from and where I am going. Generally it's more like, "Oh! I'm coming from this one place I can pronounce to this other place I can't pronounce but I can try spelling it, but do you know where I am now? No. I don't know how to get across the fact I have no idea what you are telling me. You can't help me? Well, thanks for trying."
    and Ben? I plan to.

    ReplyDelete