Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Remember and Honor

"To look backward for a while is to refresh the eye, to restore it, and to render it the more fit for its prime function of looking forward." ~Margaret Fairless Barber

Today is the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

I was in 5th grade when the towers were hit. I was 10 years old. I knew nothing about the attack on the Twin Towers until I arrived home. I would have never remembered that regular day in school if it had not been such a blow to the nation. I didn't learn about the planes until I arrived home from school. My siblings and I took the bus home. When I walked in, I went to find my mom to talk about the day. It wasn't only my mom I saw, but my dad who was home from work. It was a Tuesday and my dad was never home from work on a Tuesday. Especially since just that morning we had run to the porch to wave goodbye and send him on his way.
When I had arrived home, not only did I see my dad home, but both of my parents were in front of the TV crying. That scared me.
At 10 years old you aren't really aware of the world. You're becoming aware of the world as it moves beyond you, but I was still very much settled in my own world.
I did not understand the significance of the attacks.
I was scared just because my parents were.
My dad had arrived at work and had been told to return home because they weren't sure if where he worked would also be a target. But it scared me that my parents were crying while watching the news.
My family rarely watches the news on TV, at least while we were home from school. I remember though that even the news reporters seemed confused. I didn't understand.
We live in California. I didn't know anyone that had died in the crashes. Watching it on TV when outside looked like a normal day was confusing. It didn't seem real. I didn't understand.
The days, months, and years that followed I learned more details. Learning about Flight 93 and Flight 77. I learned about the acts of heroism. I learned about the brave firefighters of New York. 
I read With Their Eyes: September 11th--The View from a High School at Ground Zero edited by Annie Thoms while I was in high school. I read about kids in high school. Kids in high school who were nearest to Ground Zero. Finally, several years later, I could relate. I discovered even more the true significance of this event. For the children of America, those who were too young to really understand and were born after 9/11 I would recommend this book. I would recommend this book to all high school students. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone to read and understand more about 9/11.
I learned that America is a country that can be united and be strong. I've learned more about what the United States of America represents and stands for through the reactions of it's citizens during and after 9/11.
I am proud to be an American. I want to incorporate what America stand for into my own character.

Today is the 10th Anniversary of 9/11. I remember and honor all those who died. I remember and honor all those who have lost loved ones. I remember and honor our heros.

God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment