Monday, February 1, 2010

Minor Differences

Minors.

I love history. I really do. I love learning the the causes and effects. I love the stories of the average person and the political and military leaders. There are just so many stories! So many events! So many ways of interrupting the past. However, my definition of history and other peoples definition of history seems to be a little different. Sorta.

I just like reading all the information already gathered. I don't like much the whole researching every document thing. Although, I am very glad I live in this time where the internet, on which information is gathered, exists. Otherwise it would be a lot harder. I love to learn of all the missing pieces and imagine what the time period was really like, but still. I just like being the audience to the real historian.

So I was considering that perhaps I will change my minor. My major I am pretty confidant in. English with a Creative Writing Emphasis. But my minor? That's different.

My options I am looking at: Marriage and Family Studies verses Psychology with a Parenting Emphasis

I have not quite decided, but I think I want to go more along those lines. I'm currently taking Hist 101 so I can take other History classes down the road. Because I love to learn about the different eras and such. I mean, hello, i'm majoring in English. It's all one big story to me with lots of smaller stories in it. Think about all you can write!! It's mind boggling!

In any case, I'll still be taking a history class every once in awhile. But in all truthfulness, I don't quite want a career. Writing stories for fun, now that would be enjoyable, but for a career on which my livelihood depended upon? That is a different story that could be written.

I am not act school to only gain myself an education for which I can go into a career, I am gaining an education so I am more intellectually bright and knowledgeable as well as more wise. I am gaining an education so I can be a better mother to my future children. I am gaining an education so I will be an asset to my community. So I am just taking a wide variety of courses in which I am interesting in knowing more about or I can see being entirely useful.

The differences:

Marriage and Family Studies:

Family Relations - overview course of family development across the lifespan including the study of the family as a system, family interaction, family issues and family roles. This course will emphasize relationships of the family and its environment. Consideration is given to the cultural diversity and heritage of families.
Parenting - A study of theories, principles, and practices needed to build nurturing and supportive parent-child relationships and to guide children toward healthy development courses.
Marriage - Focuses on contemporary issues affecting marriage, along with skills and principles needed to build strong and successful marriages.
Money Management - Financial concepts of direct concern to the individual or family. Budgeting, financial institutions and services, consumer buying, use and control of credit, financial records, buying and selling home insurance, and basic investments will be discussed.
The Family - Application of gospel truths and supportive scholarship to strengthen marriage and family relationships using "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" as the guiding framework.
Home and Family Management - Application of principles of home management. A goal oriented study of values, resources, decision making, time and money management.
Family Recreation - This course will address the issues related to recreation as it applies to the LDS family environment and develop within the student the tools needed to implement the principles for success set forth by the prophets.
Marriage Skills - Foundation principles of successful marriages with application to strengthening marriages.
Parenting Skills - Foundational Principles and basic skills of parent child interaction with application to typical decisions, problems, and opportunities encountered by parents.
Preparation for Marriage - Highlight skills, attitudes, behaviors, and principles needed to prepare oneself for a strong marriage and to wisely select a marriage partner. Preparation for marriage is also emphasize by focusing on healthy practices related to dating, courtship, engagement, and the transition following marriage.


Psychology with a Parenting Emphasis:

General Psychology - This is an introductory course in Psychology which surveys the various fields of psychology and application of selected psychological principles to life situations.
Developmental Psychology Lifespan - The study of biological, affective, social, and cognitive aspects of development through the life span.
Psychology of Effective Living - An explanation of psychological principles which facilitate a productive and satisfying life.
Child Development - A theoretical, academically oriented course focusing on the physical, cognitive, emotional, and social development of the child from conception through adolescence. Explores the influences of family, peers, and social institutions on the child's development.
Adolescent Development - A study of the biological, social and cognitive foundations of adolescence. Includes in-depth examinations of many developmental issues faced by adolescent, e.g., gender, the self, family relationships, friends and peers, dating, love and sexuality, school, etc.

I also debated with Home and Family as a Minor, but I think that I'll just take some of those classes rather then just the whole minor. Perhaps the same with the Psychology. It's so helpful to write it all out. :D I am certainly still going to be taking some History classes. And definitely some English - Creative Writing classes.

But these are some minor differences, and I plan on making them all together. Or at least, mostly. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment