Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Little Better, a Little Brighter

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."
~Anne Frank


It's amazing to me that Anne Frank only lived a few short years and died at the age of 16 and yet has affected much of the world through her written words that were jotted down only for her audience of "Kitty".
Joan of Arc also became an influential person. She died at the age of 19 years. She helped to reclaim her country, but was captured, put on trial, and executed by being burned at the stake.

I am all of 19 years and almost 6 months. What have I done with my life? Certainly nothing like those girls I've mentioned. I have not suffered as they had. I have not fought in a war. I have not been a source of inspiration for countries, nations, and people.

However, I am still me. I influence those around me daily by what I say and do... or don't. Helping to make one person's day a little brighter is something that makes the world a little better. I know that I could be doing better. I know that I could reach just a little further to help another.

We do not need to become war leaders, presidents, or a symbol of a cause.

What we must do it make each of our "Corners of the World" a little brighter, a little better. If we each focus on the places around us, the light will shine and spread. It may move slowly. It may move backwards. But someday, sometime, it will be everywhere.

I'd like to think that is what I have done in my life. I have made the places where I've been a little better, a little brighter. 

There is always work to be done. I may have just shined one place, but it will need shining again. So we do need each other to make the work easier. But if we do our own part it does become
a little better
a little brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment