Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Weekly Goals

I am reading Mormon Essays by D. James Cannon and it got me thinking. The author came up for the idea with the idea of these essays from the scripture Alma 32:27 which says, "But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words." The phrase I wish you to focus upon is "experiment upon my words".

Cannon decided to choose a scripture for a week and then try to apply it in his life for that week. When the week ended, he would write a little essay on the the scripture and what he learned about it. Cannon: "My personal experience in taking one scripture per week and putting it to the test, living by it, and applying it to my problems, decisions, and attitudes of daily pursuits has been most rewarding."

How motivating that is! How I wish to do the same!

And I shall!

That just shows a true and deep understanding and intellect, or at least a wish to gain it. It's an admirable trait: the wish to progress.

I shall try to do this.

I think it will also make my daily scripture study more effective as I seek for the ways I can take that scripture and apply it to my life. Could you imagine if I ended up taking every verse in order and assign each a week?? How much progress I would make in the time period of several hundred weeks? I think I shall try that. I really shall. but maybe not every single verse. yet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment