Sunday, March 25, 2012

Alma 45

Alma the younger was near the end of his ministry and goes to his son Helaman asking him:
"Believest thou the words which I spake concerning those records which have been kept? (Alma 45:2).
"Believest thou in Jesus Christ, who shall come?" (4).
"Will ye keep my commandments?"(6).
Helaman's responses were extremely positive:
"Yea, I believe" (3).
"Yea, I believe all the words which thou has spoken" (5).
"Yea, I will keep thy commandments with all my heart" (7).
Alma then said: "Blessed art thou; and the Lord shall prosper thee in this land" (8).

Elder Carlos E. Asay shared this as an example for what parent-child interviews should be like:
"I wonder if our interviews with our children are as inspirational and building as the one between Alma and Helaman. I find it significant that the father came to the son; the son was not summoned to stand inspection or to give a report. I find it refreshing that the conversation was direct and without any verbal sparring; it was not labored or rehearsed. I find it exemplary that commitment was drawn without prying, wringing, or pressuring. And I find it most beautiful that the father concluded with a tender blessing. . . .
"I do see great wisdom in the practices and performances which we encourage parents to follow in the Church. There is virtue in sponsoring family home evenings; in conducting family prayers, as Elder Perry has mentioned; in giving father’s blessings; and in holding parent-child interviews. All of these are important and have their place. However, the participation in such performances and the reporting of such activity must not become the end. They are means of involving, means of teaching, and means of blessing people. All should be engaged in for the purpose of saving and exalting souls" ("Parent-Child Interviews").
I think this is important for parents, and families, to remember. Parent-child interviews blesses a family. It builds a relationship between parent and child and helps parents better guide their children on a path of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment