Friday, March 30, 2012

How to Write a Missionary

Have you ever written a missionary? It's rather fun. Once you figure out what to say.

Often, when you begin, you stare at the single sheet of binder paper with the date from 3 days prior on the top line and "Dear Elder"on the 3rd, because it takes up more room. You stare the same state your mind is in, blankly. You have no idea what to say.

You start your first sentence (with a blank line in between the "Dear Elder" and the line you are currently marking, of course).


"Hi!" It's progress. "How are you?" That's an okay start... "How's the mission going?" Now you have real questions: "What's it like? What's the best thing about the people, the area, the culture? How's your companion? Have you found investigators?" You're running out of ideas... "What's the food like? Any crazy animals? Do you like your mission? What have you learned?" End.

Nothing else to say because you can't continue the conversation without having a response. Now what? Well, tell them about your life!

The problem comes in the waiting for another letter from them. Because you feel you can't write them again when they haven't answered your questions! Basically what you have to do is realize that missionaries are busy. They don't have all the time in the world to write to you. They are serving the Lord. Not you.

But writing letters to them makes me feel as if I am able to serve them in some fashion. Perhaps I can pick up their spirits by telling them the good things that are going on in my life. I can share with them some bits of knowledge and wisdom I've gained. I can ask them what they have learned on their mission. What they've learned from their companions. I can share what I've learned from roommates. They just like to hear from people. And when you do it regularly enough eventually they have a moment to write you back and say:
"You are awesome! Remember what you said about you recently being inspired a lot? Well, sending those quotes and other things in your letter I've already used. I was transferred last Wednesday and I gave a talk at church and used George Albert Smith's quote, and Gordon B. Hinckley's quote in my talk. I think it went really well. One of the members asked me if I've had public speaking experiences in school. So Thanks!"
or,
"Thanks so much for your letters. I know that I am a terrible friend and I hardly write back, but you never fail and keep the letters coming. You're great." 
When you open up a letter from someone that you have been writing, that you don't always hear back from, it's nice to hear that your efforts are worth it. That you are doing a good work too.

No comments:

Post a Comment