Wednesday, January 5, 2011

First Day of Second Year

I pretty much adore my classes!
This morning started with my alarm clock. What's special about my alarm clock is the fact that it has been packed away for 6 months and I haven't heard that lovely, loud, well-known beeper for such a long time. So I almost welcomed that noise.
Almost.
Lucky for me though it was only 7 am rather than any time in the 6th or 5th hour of the morning. For some reason, waking at 6:59 is too early while 7 is perfectly fine.
Well, I hopped out of bed and was nervous/excited/worried about my first classes. I hurried to dress and make myself presentable, made sure I had everything I needed for my classes and left.
My first stop: the Library.
Now I know you are probably thinking that it was my first stop, because I (the girl who reads books any chance she gets) wanted to check out a book, but no, it was because I needed something printed, read, and marked for my second class and my poor printer was starving for paper.
After that I continued on my way to the Crossroads to get myself some breakfast. To my surprise they do not open at 8, but rather at 8:30. Looking at my schedule my first class was at 9 over in the Ricks building (one of the furthest buildings away from everything else) and I wanted to be there early, especially on the first day.
So I sat and wrote in my Journal and wondering if I should grab something to go... or not.
When 8:27 came around I decided that I was just going to walk through and see if I could buy anything to go that I was interested in, and if not I'll eat after class. I ended up not finding anything and so continued on to class.
Getting there early, I found a comfy seat that was half occupied and began to sit outside the room to wait until it's occupants left when I looked at the girl sitting and she looked at me and we had one of those "Oh hey! I know you!" moments. It turns out that she was in my class and group for American Foundations a year ago. We were rather relieved to know that we knew someone in the class.
Of course we talked and caught up with each other, and then sat next to each other in class, and was just glad of each other's company.
The class is entitled "The Developing World".
The first thing we did in the class was watch a YouTube video: "Where the hell is Matt?". Matt Harding's website is: http://www.wherethehellismatt.com/ and I highly recommend going to it and reading the "About Me" section. Love it. In anycase, the point of watching the video was to show globalization and how people have much more similarities than differences. For example, turkeys are raised and usually have white feathers, but if one is born without white feathers the other turkeys peck it to death. Quite literally. The turkey farmers have to raise it elsewhere, alone, to save it's life. Somes we act more like the white turkeys then we might want to admit. We seem to be a tribal people. We can truly connect to a few dozen people. But Matt Harding says that his tribe has grown to be so large and global that he can't really comprehend it. I then had the thought that Heavenly Father is so amazing in that He knows each of us individually and we are His children. Not some tribe. But His actual kids. It hit me rather strongly at that point in class. In the world today, the tribal mentality is changing faster and more rapidly than ever before through technology. Globalization is on its way. (Second side thought during class: Globalization helps to prepare the world for the Second Coming).
I then learned that Poverty is relative. We measure wealth against others. Which is what should not be done. In my opinion, after learning this, Poor means not having the necessities; Rich means having your needs met and then some.
After the class was over I headed over to Crossroads for breakfast. I caught up with a few friends, enjoyed a lovely meal, and then headed off to my next class:
"Money Management"
We had homework the day perviously in which we were to print, read, bring the syllabus and also read and interpret the scriptures "Family, Managing Finances" in the Topical Guide. In class we discussed it all. I think I'm going to love this class as well! My instructor, Sister Nelson, said that if she could she would teach how to manage one's finances just through the scriptures and not have to use a textbook, because there are three really important things in finances and the scriptures cover them extensively:
1. Tithes
2. Save
3. Debt
Tithing is what you pay to the Lord.
It is an immediate and literal way to pay back the Lord for all the blessings and gifts He's blessed us with. (Of course, He then keeps blessing you, but that's fine.) Not paying your tithes causes a lack of blessings in your life verses a curse because you aren't paying. You never know how blessed you are until it is taken away.
Saving is what you pay yourself.
One student and her husband puts their change in a huge jar that is duck-taped at the top with a slit for coins. It is a way for them to save even their pennies. It makes it easy to put money in, but hard to take it out. Also, make sure to self-evaluate periodically so you know what to save or spend.
Debt is paying others.
This is when you spend money. Money you have, or money that you don't have. Sister Nelson made clear this phrase: "Never invest with what you don't have."
Money is a stewardship.
We are told to manage our stewardships. Stewardships, however, are never people, they are blessings. What's that? What about children? The stewardship you have as a parent is the stewardship of being a parent. If you had stewardships over people, you would be interfering with their agency.
When that class concluded I headed home for an hour or so to lighten my backpack before heading to my next class. I arrived a little early so I wrote in my Journal some more... but then it was time for my class:
"Young Adult Literature"
I really am going to enjoy it. I am required to read a total of 25 books. Young Adult books. This includes Harry Potter, Eragon, Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, Repunzel's Revenge, and any other young adult book I can think of. I'm excited. :) I am required to read fun books for class. That's the best news I've heard in forever.
Yup, so today has been a good day. I've enjoyed my classes. Have tons of homework. Like being in a warm house. Yup. Love college.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, What the full list of books you have to read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monster by Walter Dean Myers
    The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
    Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson
    Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
    Charles and Emma: The Darwin’s Leap of Faith by Deborah Heiligman

    plus 19 more! :)

    ReplyDelete