Thursday, March 31, 2011

"I am an English Major"

"Yes, I am an English Major.

No, I am not going to teach.
No, I don't want to edit your paper.
No, I don't know what that word means.
And, no, I can't spell that word either."

My friend came up with that the other day and I thought it was rather applicable.
She has the exact same major, emphasis and minor as I do, so we have a lot of common interests. Our major is obviously English. Our emphasis is creative writing. Our minor is Marriage and Family Studies. We both wish to become writers on the side of having a family or whatever career we may possibly be interested in (at the moment that is nothing).
But I loved what she wrote. I didn't end up majoring in English because I want to become a teacher, love grammar, know how to spell or define words. I ended up majoring in English because I love literature. The End. There wasn't any other reason.
Though I can come up with rationals and justification. Such as, if I wanted to go on to graduate school, majoring in English is a helpful. Majoring in it also makes you seem smart.
Now, I'm not saying that either of us is not smart, nor am I saying that we don't love the English language and wouldn't mind teaching. It's just those aren't our goals.
But, in any case, I love my major.
Just don't ask me to spell anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment