Monday, November 9, 2009

Stories and I

Someday I wish to be a writer.

or to be more precise:

I wish to become a better story teller.

On my mom's side of the family the most normal days become some adventure and excitement. All based on the words used, how they use them, and their expressions and movements. In my opinion, my mother's stories of what my younger brother did today, or what I did when I was a toddler, they've rubbed off on me.

I clearly remember a time when I'd look at the children's Disney books my family owned and not being able to know what the words said. I could read yet. I knew they were what told me the story, the secret code, to the book. But only my parents could decipher it.

My first day of Kindergarten. I come home crying. My mom is worried. I'm her oldest. She's just had to send off her little girl to school. And now she's crying. "What's wrong?" she asked me. And after a large overflow of tears and sobs, she finally gets out of me the answer in wails, "I can't Read Yet!!! You said I would read!!!"

My parents had told me that I'd learn how to read in Kindergarten. I had wanted to learn how to and that was their answer to when I would.

But to my extreme disappointment, I could not after my first day.

I remember that when I first was able to read and we'd travel anywhere, I couldn't help myself from reading everything that past me in the car window. In fact, it became such a headache I would cover my eyes or squeeze them tight as long as I could. But as a child, your eyes don't stay closed to the world for long (unless it's in sleep).

I remember always changing my mind on what I wanted to be when I grew up. An astronaut, a policeman, a firefighter, the first woman president, etc etc. But I really didn't know. Those were the only occupations I was aware of. From where? Stories.

I realized that a person can travel to an entire different world or a very similar one, all in the books. I've always wanted to do something involving words and stories.

But a writer? Sure. That'd be great.

However, a storyteller that is a writer. That's the difference. I wish to be able to capture the imagination and expand on it for any reader that opens a book. But captures it like a storyteller does. But all within a pages of a book.

Now, that would be magic.

Maybe you can tell from all of this that I read a lot. It is a known fact among those who know me well that I always have a book. Always. Now, to break the news to my disillusioned friends, that is not as true as I sometimes wish it was. But it is rather close. But not in times when I have run out of the 20 books I've checked out of the library and my mother wouldn't take me after a week of not being at the library. (But I have my license now, so I try not to have that be a problem any longer. :D)

So I read. A lot. And sometimes am not extraordinary productive in my chores. Or socialization.

My dad then came up with an excellent way to be productive in the field of reading too much. Write book reviews on at least one out of the 20 books you read then perhaps you'll be noticed. It's a way to become an author. Clever! But there are so many others who do the same thing.

But I'll try.

In my own way.

Along with thoughts on life. And perhaps some stories of life. Maybe even ideas on another world.


:D

No comments:

Post a Comment