Sunday, October 2, 2011

Conference: Something I Love

There are annual times of the year that I absolutely love. New Year's, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas. I love my own and my family's birthdays. I love Memorial day. I love the summer!
But twice a year, I am blessed with the opportunity to listen to all the testimonies from modern prophets who share messages the Lord would like us to hear. And that's near the top of my list of my favorite time of year. It's General Conference. and this morning I was able to hear the Saturday afternoon session.

David A. Bednar bore testimony on the Spirit of Elijah which just so happens to be a manifestation of the Spirit. It's a force behind the worldwide interest in family history. The promise of Elijah where Elijah shall return and turn the heart of the fathers to the children and the heart of the children to their fathers spoken of in Malachi 4:6 has been fulfilled.

Neil L. Andersen spoke that the commandment to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. That we must find our faith in God that He will help us and there is no shame in skimping and saving. We are to not be judgmental in the sacred and personal responsibly to have children. It is a matter between a husband, wife and God.

Ian S. Ardern advised us to become a great manager of Time. Time is a commodity we cannot buy. However, we are each allotted the same Time. It is how we use that time that it becomes a significant. We must have wise priorities. "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew 6:33). Being busy does not mean you are productive. Be sure you are as quick to kneel as to text. Greatest happiness comes as we tune in to the Lord. As the 13th Article of Faith reads:
We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
This is how we should prioritize. But the things of God first, and the rest will follow.

Carl B. Cook told of an experience he had after a week of being a General Authority. He was in the elevator, discouraged, with his head hanging when President Thomas S. Monson stepped onto the elevator and shared words of wisdom, "Now, remember it's better to look up" as he pointed to the heavens. If our spirits are down, direct your gaze to the prophet and he will redirect your focus to God. Through our Savior and His Atonement, our burdens can be lifted from our souls.

LeGrand R. Curtis Jr. informed us on the meaning of the words "Savior" and "Redeem". That Jesus Christ truly is our Savior and our Redeemer. That we can acquire redemption. That we should help others find it as well. We should try to rescue the less active and invite them to return. He then shared the verses of a Hymn:


Savior, Redeemer of My Soul
Orson F. Whitney

Savior, Redeemer of my soul,
Whose mighty hand hath made me whole,
Whose wondrous pow'r hath raised me up
And filled with sweet my bitter cup!
What tongue my gratitude can tell,
O gracious God of Israel.

Never can I repay thee, Lord,
But I can love thee. Thy pure word,
Hath it not been my one delight,
My joy by day, my dream by night?
Then let my lips proclaim it still,
And all my life reflect thy will.

O'errule mine acts to serve thine ends.
Change frowning foes to smiling friends.
Chasten my soul till I shall be
In perfect harmony with thee.
Make me more worthy of thy love,
And fit me for the life above.

Then D. Todd Christofferson gave five points about the divine gift of repentance:
  1. The invitation to repent is an expression of love.
  2. Repentance means striving to change.
  3. Repentance means not only abandoning sins but turning to obedience.
  4. Repentance requires a seriousness of purpose and a willingness to persevere even through pain.
  5. Whatever the cost of repentance, it is swallowed up in the joy of forgiveness.
Finally, L. Tom Perry gave the session's closing remarks. He spoke to members telling us to correct the misinformation about the church throughout the world. We are to do it with the same spirit and conduct ourselves the same way as we do at temple open houses. There are a few ways to do so:
  1. Be bold in our declaration of Jesus Christ.
  2. Be righteous examples to others. "Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity" (1 Timothy 4:12).
  3. Speak up about the church. "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear" (1 John 4:18).
He asked us all to share religious beliefs via the internet. There is a site called Mormon.org which can express who and what Mormons are to those who are interested. Members can upload profile pages. There are a lot of them there already. Thus, that's what I've been working on currently. Thought it would be a good idea. Elder Perry has asked us to make sure we stay holy in conversation.

I can't wait until the next session in about 4 hours! It'll be great, I'm sure. They always are.

No comments:

Post a Comment