Saturday, October 1, 2011

Saturday Morning occurs Saturday evening

My Heavenly Father Loves Me
Clara W. McMaster

Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thanks him reverently
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me.


The Saturday Morning session of General Conference was good to hear. I've been waiting all day to be able to hear the words of the Lord through His speakers. I was finally able to beginning listening at 6 PM. Wonderful words.

Richard G. Scott spoke of the importance of the scriptures. All of the scriptures. The scriptures can be our well-worn friend. We can gain inspiration, comfort and knowledge from its pages. He certainly added more testimony to this month's Ensign dedicated to the Book of Mormon.

Barbara Thompson spoke about personal revelation and covenants.

I loved L. Whitney Clayton's testimony on the work of the Lord and His kingdom. "The sun never sets on God's work."

Our beloved Prophet, Thomas S. Monson spoke of temples and how important they are to us and they we visit them at least once in our lives, but we continue to do the temple work.

José L. Alonso informed us that happiness is found through following the example of Christ who served and loved others. He used the phrase, "Do the right thing, at the right time without delay" reminding me of one of my personal mottos in life "Good thought? Do it!"

Boyd K. Packer spoke mostly to my generation. His words reminded me a little of Brother Siegenthaler's words to me the past two Sundays in Switzerland. That my generation knows more about the gospel, is more mature and more faithful than his was when he was our age. Yet, we can still learn from his generation. 

About Crows
John Ciardi

The old crow is getting slow;
the young crow is not.
Of what the young crow does not know,
the old crow knows a lot.

At knowing things, the old crow is still
the young crow’s master.
What does the old crow not know?
How to go faster.

The young crow flies above, below, and rings
around the slow old crow.
What does the fast young crow not know?
WHERE TO GO.


His generation has a lot to offer ours. In fact, in April 2003 during General Conference there was a talk given entitled "The Golden Years" that has stayed with me ever since it was first spoken. However, it wasn't until this moment that I realized Boyd K. Packer was the one who gave that talk as well. I'm seeing a common theme here. But I'd personally recommend a person to read both side by side.

Then their was President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk, which I am seeing being quoted and spoken about on a majority of blogs and Facebook statuses.
"The Lord uses a scale very different from the world's to weigh the worth of a soul."
I loved when he quoted King Benjamin who said, "I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness"(Mosiah 4:11). But, "the worth of souls is great" (Doctrine and Covenants 18:10). All of God's creations, all that we can't even imagine or comprehend, was built for the benefit of man. We are everything to God. He loves us with a Perfect Love. You matter to Him.

And for this talk, given by President Uchtdorf, I found my brother's favorite song in the Children's Songbook (at least it was his favorite growing up). I believe it fits perfectly.

That's all for tonight. Tomorrow I'll get to listen to more of His words. How blessed we are, that no matter where we are, we have the ability to be able to hear a living prophet's words. What a comfort! What a blessing! It's truly miraculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment