Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mt. Rigi

"The Blue Rigi, Lake of Lucerne, Sunrise" by JMW Turner
True or False?
I hiked a mountain.
I woke up at 6:30 to hike a mountain today.
I was half conscience before the sun arose so I could go see the sun rise while on top of the mountain this morning.
I'm crazy.
All, but the last (of course), is false.
But. It is almost true.

I was aware of the alarm at 6:30 before the sun ever arose. Though, I didn't know what it was. And it was gone so quickly that my brain wasn't even functioning enough to recognize it.

I actually arose out of bed at around 6:50 or so and found myself at my Aunt's place. See, yesterday, I was blessed enough to spend time with my Aunt and her family. I saw their cute little town and the nearby nunnery and was able to help my cousin set up a blog. (If you'd like to see it, here it is!) I love looking at the Swiss buildings, especially the old homes and churches. Such an amount of history in those places.

Back to my "hike" up the mountain. I didn't actually hike up at all. My cousin and I took a tram. I love trams that go up mountains. I'd go hiking all the time if I could take a tram all the way to the top.

However, my cousin and I discovered that the tram didn't go up that early. Which was disappointment. But it was an absolutely gorgeous sight even if we got there a couple of hours later than the sun did. It was still morning. The clouds were below us. The valleys and lakes were below us. We were taller than many of the surrounding mountains. It was just beautiful.

I'm so glad my aunt gave me the suggestion and that I was able to go. It was stunning.







As I'm sure you've noticed, it's really high. Gorgeous though. Rather scary to go to the edge as it's a sheer drop downwards. It was amazing. Mt. Rigi is also known as "Queen of the Mountains" though I'm not sure why. There has been a painting of the mountain by JMW Turner and Mark Twain is known to have climbed it.

If anyone is curious to it's location, it's on the map below. However, you can't really tell it's a mountain from space. Still. It's beautiful from up there. It really and truly is. I love the beauty of Switzerland. I'll have to come back someday for sure. It's a good thing I have this last week in Switzerland to experience everything else I can experience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment