Saturday, October 8, 2011

First Snow

Dear Rexburgian friends,
Apparently Switzerland is on the same weather pattern as you.

It rained yesterday and it was beautiful.
I saw all over Facebook and Twitter that is began snowing in Rexburg, ID the other day. I feel for you. You'll probably have to live with it for the next 8 months or so. In fact, I'll be showing up after there are several feet of snow on the ground and it doesn't really snow anymore, but just stays there.

I've been staying in Sattel, Switzerland for 28 days. The weather has been fantastically amazing. Rolling green hills. Green, green, everywhere. Reminds me of California. But not as hot. Nor as flat. But it's been a perfect Rexburg summer hot everywhere I've gone in Switzerland. Which I've become adjusted to verses the 90s or 100s I've grown up with in Cali where a Rexburg summer would be classified as a California late fall. So coming to Switzerland's lovely weather was a nice break from the 90 degree weather in California. Another blessing of coming to Switzerland.

Turns out that fall happens really fast here. So fast I almost didn't notice it. I'm thinking fall lasts a full week here. Trees and vines that were a vibrant green are now full of autumn colors. Even the hills are not looking as green as they once were.

Yesterday, my luck of good weather ran out. It began to rain. and rain.

Snow! Snow! Snow!
This morning? It snowed.

Not very long. And it didn't stick as the ground is much to warm. But it snowed. And I'm expecting it to snow a little bit more before I leave next Thursday.

I count that as lucky.
I was lucky enough to see the first snow in Switzerland. Did you know I've never, ever experienced a first snow of the season before? Ever?
I'm 100% from the California Valley where it never snows.
I'm always in California during the fall and beginning of winter. I've never experienced this before.
It's beautiful.

It's like my first time seeing snow melt when I was up in Rexburg for my first semester. I thought everything would be green underneath the snow. But the grass was dead and moldy and not at all what I would have thought spring should be. It was fun to watch the seasons change. Totally miraculous.
Now I've seen the first snow.

It's awesome.

Now, it's probably awesome because in a week I'll be back in my California Valley where the temperature is in the high 70s and low 80s. It'll still be summer. I won't have to deal with snow for the next few months until January comes around and I go up to Rexburg again. But still. It's all rather exciting.

"Rain is Falling All Around"

Moiselle Renstrom
♪Snow is falling all around,
On the housetops, on the ground.
Snow is falling on my nose,
On my head and hands and toes. ♬

No comments:

Post a Comment