Friday, November 25, 2011

1 Nephi 19

This chapter contains one of my favorite verses, 1 Nephi 19:23:
And I did read many things unto them which were written in the books of Moses; but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning.
There are several things to be learned from this verse. Nephi taught his people using the scriptures. He read to them from the scriptures so that they may increase their testimonies in Jesus Christ. He did that by likening the scriptures unto them, this way they could profit and learn.

In modern times, we have received many instruction and guidance to teach us how to liken the scriptures unto us. One of my favorite is in the March 2009 Ensign entitled "Likening the Scriptures to Our Personal Lives". I recommend you read the whole thing. As it's all very good. But at the end of the article there are a suggested list of questions you could ask yourself as you read the scriptures:

  • What situations in my life are like the situations in these verses?
  • What are the principles in this chapter that will help me in my own circumstances?
  • What events or circumstances in my day are like the events or circumstances in these verses?
  • Is there something in this chapter that helps me with a current personal problem, question, challenge, or concern?
  • Is there something taught that is similar to what the living prophet and apostles are teaching today?
  • Is there something taught that could help with an issue the world is struggling with today?
I found the following video the other day while looking up things on LDS.org. It shows youth taking the challenge from President Monson this last General Conference to read the Book of Mormon. But while doing so, they naturally applied it to their lives. In anycase, I wish that each one of us will read the Book of Mormon and the scriptures and apply them in our lives. There is so much that we can learn from it. Reading the scriptures benefits our lives and help us find solutions to our daily struggles.

I hope we all can liken the scriptures to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment