Thursday, November 10, 2011

1 Nephi 4

In 1 Nephi 4, we are told of how Nephi actually acquires the plates of brass from Laban. The key to his success was his being "led by the spirit" (1 Nephi 4:6). It often takes a lot of courage and faith to act without knowing what exactly it is you are going to do or say.

It reminds me of the times when I've friends wondering about the gospel and when I begin to answer, I have no idea where exactly I'm going with the topic besides sharing what I know, sharing my testimony. I'd consider that being led by the spirit. There are also times when you have the idea of visiting someone, and you really are afraid to for one reason or another, thus you come across an excuse as to why you can't or shouldn't. But then when you do act, you realized that it was good. That it was worth it.


Elder John H. Groberg said:
“Be willing to take reasonable risks. We live in an age of reason, logic, facts, and figures. These can be useful if kept in subjection to faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ. But if they ever take precedence over faith in Him, then they are not useful and can be very harmful. I have found in my life that most of the good decisions I have made may not have been made if they were based solely on logic or reason. . . . 
“. . . Nephi was determined to do what God wanted him to do even with logic to the contrary. The scriptures tell us in 1 Nephi 4:6 that he went forth not knowing beforehand what he should do but knowing he should obey God and get the plates. . . . 
“I suspect had he listened only to reason, Nephi and his brethren would still be waiting outside the walls of Jerusalem. I sometimes wonder if by our listening to reason and logic too much, and not trusting God enough, we may find ourselves waiting outside the walls of His holy city” (“Trust in the Lord” [CES fireside for young adults, May 1, 1994], 3, www.ldsces.org).

I think I should try to be better led by the spirit. That I should learn to act quickly to any sort of guidance from the spirit. Which means I really should become better at recognizing it.

To help with that, there is a quote from Elder Richard G. Scott saying:
“The bedrock of character is integrity. Worthy character will strengthen your capacity to respond obediently to the direction of the Spirit. Righteous character is what you are becoming. It is more important than what you own, what you have learned, or what goals you have accomplished. It allows you to be trusted. Righteous character provides the foundation of spiritual strength. It enables you in times of trial and testing to make difficult, extremely important decisions correctly even when they seem overpowering” (in Conference Report, Apr. 2003, 80; or Ensign, May 2003, 77).
Thus, I have to work on building a good character. I'd think that'd come naturally from my doing the best I can every day. It's harder than it looks. To do the absolute best I can. Every day. What's really nice is when I accomplish such a task. However, it's nice to know that when I'm not able to do my best that there is the Atonement that can help me become even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment