Monday, November 14, 2011

Teaching Relief Society

Yesterday, I taught Relief Society in my YSA branch! It was pretty great. I haven't taught Relief Society for a few years. It used to be my calling. When I graduated Young Women's and entered into Relief Society, I began to teach once a month from July through December. I loved that so much. The sisters in my home ward are some of my best friends. I really love them and their friendships. They are so wonderful. I consider my homeward as my extended not-family. It was truly a pleasure to teach the lessons. As the teacher, I was more of a conductor of a discussion than a lecturer. Especially since I realized that so many of the sisters had so much to contribute than I did because the had truly lived, and I felt as if I was just beginning. I didn't (and still don't) have as much experience. But it was honestly one of my favorite callings (though, truthfully I love them all).

As a result, being asked to teach Relief Society once again was truly something I was rather ecstatic to do. Even though I know almost no one in my Relief Society. I'm beginning to know them though and they are a great group of girls. But I've never taught my own peer group before. It's actually rather amusing that I was terrified of that. I'm more comfortable teaching YW's or the sisters in my home ward.


This is way I tend to prepare for teaching from the Gospel Principles manuel. I begin by reading it through once or twice. Just reading it. No notes. No highlighting. Just reading. I then go back and try to determine which quotes and sections really made an impression on me. I'd jot done little comments about my impressions near the the quote. I'd then go back through again and I write in questions along the side next to each section. This way, when I am teaching and we come to that point, if I feel it is appropriate, I can ask those questions and make those comments that the class can ponder and discuss.

I truly believe it is important to teach from the manuel. Not just pick a topic and go wild with it. However, I also believe that we can wander a bit from the exact words in the manuel. I just believe that everything we taught about has to stay under the umbrella of the lesson title. I always want to make sure that I am teaching what our Latter-day prophets feel is important for us to be teaching and learning about for that day. But I also want to make sure I allow the Spirit into the lesson and prompt people to speak and feel and learn something. Sometimes the lesson moves in a direction I wasn't quite expecting because that's what that particular class needed to hear.

For such flexibility, I really have to know my lesson and topic well. This way I can answer most any question that comes my way. Or I can guide the class in a certain direction based on the what I feel. I've never had a lesson set in stone. I just try to learn as much as I possibly can so I can be the best instrument I can be for the Lord and the Holy Ghost and teach what they'd like me to teach. It's quite the endeavor. But I really love it. What's really helpful is having a background in the gospel. Meaning daily scripture study is helpful in more than just guiding your daily life. It's helpful in adding to that foundation of information you can pull from.

It really is true that the teacher learns more than the class. The teacher has to know the topic and lesson well enough to move in any direction under it. Then with all the insights and knowledge from the class that you never even thought of, you learn even more. I really, really loved teaching the gospel. You have Latter-day Saints as your "students", you have the Holy Ghost as the teacher, and you just stand in front of the class and direct, just like the conductor for music. It's fantastic.

Yesterday went well. I'm so grateful for the opportunity I had to teacher in my YSA branch. It was wonderful

No comments:

Post a Comment