Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Ether 6

The past few days I've been thinking about how light is always in connection to God and his people. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been told over and over again that we are to shine forth.

President Gordon B. Hinckley, a man of God I truly love and miss, said:

"I believe and testify that it is the mission of this Church to stand as an ensign to the nations and a light to the world. We have had placed upon us a great, all-encompassing mandate from which we cannot shrink nor turn aside. We accept that mandate and are determined to fulfill it, and with the help of God we shall do it. . . . 
"We must stand firm. We must hold back the world. If we do so, the Almighty will be our strength and our protector, our guide and our revelator. We shall have the comfort of knowing that we are doing what He would have us do. Others may not agree with us, but I am confident that they will respect us. We will not be left alone. There are many not of our faith but who feel as we do. They will support us. They will sustain us in our efforts. 
"We cannot be arrogant. We cannot be self-righteous. The very situation in which the Lord has placed us requires that we be humble as the beneficiaries of His direction. 
"While we cannot agree with others on certain matters, we must never be disagreeable. We must be friendly, soft-spoken, neighborly, and understanding. 
"Now I emphasize a theme already treated in this conference. To our young people, the glorious youth of this generation, I say, be true. Hold to the faith. Stand firmly for what you know to be right" ("An Ensign to the Nations, a Light to the World").
The Church as a whole is supposed to do this. Every member is to shine. It's interesting to me that when we live the gospel. When we put what is true and right in our lives. When we live our testimonies, that others respect us.

Shining forth to everyone doesn't just bless you. I remember in junior high and high school, that I would stick to my standards. I've had people wonder why I wake up at 5 in the morning to go to a church scripture class at 5:55 am before my early morning class. I've had people wonder why I don't do certain things on Sunday. I've had people wonder why I attend church for 3 straight hours. I've had people ask me why I didn't smoke or take drugs, beyond the explanation that it's bad for you. I've had people wonder why I don't drink alcohol, even though I'm now 21. I've had people wonder why I've never sworn (yes, it's true. I've never uttered a swear word).

Let me explain to you why.

Because God has asked me to.

If you knew that God's true church was restored to the earth and directed by Him, wouldn't you follow him? Wouldn't you do what he has asked?

And when you do what is asked, and let your light shine, you find that those around you, who haven't been blessed with this knowledge just yet, will not drink around you, will not swear around you, will not talk about inappropriate things around you.

When you let your light shine, you shine a light that chases out the darkness from around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment