Saturday, June 30, 2012

Moroni 8

"For behold that all little children are alive in Christ, and also all they that are without the law. For the power of redemption cometh on all them that have no law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, cannot repent; and unto such baptism availeth nothing—" (22).

I read this and I immediately thought of my uncle who has down syndrome. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a website about Disability Resources located at LDS.org/disability. Within it was the following, which fits very well with this particular chapter:

Q: What are the guidelines as to whether or not a child with an intellectual disability may be baptized? 
A: This is a matter between parents, the child, and local priesthood leaders. If the child has a basic understanding of gospel principles and wishes to be baptized, then baptism may be possible.
What can we do? How can we be respectful of the Children of God with disabilities?


There's a song in the Children's Songbook entitled:
I'll Walk with YouCarol Lynn Pearson 
If you don't walk as most people do,
Some people walk away from you,
But I won't! I won't!
If you don’t talk as most people do,
Some people talk and laugh at you,
But I won’t! I won’t!
I’ll walk with you. I’ll talk with you.
That’s how I’ll show my love for you.
Jesus walked away from none.
He gave his love to ev’ryone.
So I will! I will!
Jesus blessed all he could see,
Then turned and said, “Come, follow me.”
And I will! I will!
I will! I will!
I’ll walk with you. I’ll talk with you.
That’s how I’ll show my love for you.

The LDS site speaks about Respecting People with Disabilities.

When speaking or associating with a person with a disability:
  • Smile; be yourself.
  • Focus on the person’s capabilities. Don’t be so focused on a person’s disability that you don’t see the person.
  • Talk to the person with a disability—or with the person’s caregivers, when appropriate—about how you can include the person in activities and what he or she is comfortable with.
  • Be respectful. Offer assistance if asked or if the need is obvious. Do not move wheelchairs or other mobility aids without permission from the owner.
  • Speak slowly and directly when talking to a person with a hearing impairment. Do not assume a person with a hearing or speech impairment has an intellectual disability.
  • Be patient.
  • Be considerate of that person’s feelings when talking to others. Would you want what you are about to say being said about you?
  • Remember to speak softly unless the person has a hearing impairment. Speaking loudly does not improve understanding.

Love them. They are Children of God not matter what age they are at. Have charity; have the pure love of Christ. Serve them.

2 comments:

  1. My brother has learning disabilities. He does baptisms for the dead. He's still a child intellectually and always will be. I love your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara. That's so awesome for your brother. It amazes me that those children of God with any type of disability are the most cheerful and service oriented people I know. They're special people with special gifts to give to us all.

      Delete