Friday, December 23, 2011

2 Nephi 25

I'm sure you are aware that the past several chapters have been chapters from Isaiah. In Chapter 25, Nephi explains Isaiah because "the words of Isaiah are not plain unto you, nevertheless they are plain unto all those that are filled with the spirit of prophecy" (4). Nephi also mentions why he speaks and writes the words of Isaiah: "for I know that they shall be of great worth unto them in the last days; for in that day shall they understand them" (8).

There is one verse in particular that I really enjoy:

"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins" (26).
I can relate to a certain extent to the words Elder Jeffrey R. Holland once said:
“My greatest thrill and the most joyful of all realizations is that I have the opportunity, as Nephi phrased it, to ‘talk of Christ, . . . rejoice in Christ, . . . preach of Christ, [and] prophesy of Christ’ (2 Nephi 25:26) wherever I may be and with whomever I may find myself until the last breath of my life is gone. Surely there could be no higher purpose or greater privilege than that of ‘special [witness] of the name of Christ in all the world’ (D&C 107:23). 
“But my greatest anxiety stems from that very same commission. A line of scripture reminds us with searing understatement that ‘they which preach the gospel should live . . . the gospel’ (1 Corinthians 9:14). Beyond my words and teachings and spoken witness, my life must be part of that testimony of Jesus. My very being should reflect the divinity of this work. I could not bear it if anything I might ever say or do would in any way diminish your faith in Christ, your love for this church, or the esteem in which you hold the holy apostleship” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1994, 39–40; or Ensign, Nov. 1994, 31). 
Now, I'd think it's rather obvious that I love to talk of Christ, rejoice in Christ, and peach of Christ. It's kind've all over the place in my blog. But there's also one more where we "prophesy of Christ" (26). Sometimes I think that it only applies to our Church leaders. But for me it has also come to mean having and sharing your testimony of Christ.

So study the words of Isaiah. They are for our time. Remember also the words of Elder Holland where our very beings should reflect the divinity of his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment