Monday, December 5, 2011

The Close of 2011

The end of the year is upon us once again. Today I found a video covering moments of 2011. Moments where there was great hardships but where we were all inspired.


There was a Yahoo! blog 2011 Year in Review in which I think that the video originated from. I really really enjoyed the video and it brought back many memories of my own when each of these things occurred.

I was at BYU-Idaho when the earthquake hit Japan. My Home Evening group happened to be full of returned missionaries from Japan and some who were grew up in Japan, including a roommate of mine. I also have a friend serving his mission in Japan and he had arrived there the week before the earthquake and tsunami. It was a very trying time in life.

Then in May 2011 there was a tornado that hit Missouri. My former roommate is from Missouri and was visiting when the tornado hit. Her flight was grounded for a time. But it took me awhile to learn of that. Luckily Facebook is awesome like that.

(An Image it Took 30 Years to Complete: Father and Son at First and Last Shuttle Launch)

There was also "the final space shuttle mission, STS-135, ended July 21, 2011 when Atlantis rolled to a stop at its home port, NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida" (NASA website). There was also the photo at right of the father and son watching the first and last shuttle launch. That was the most touching to me. Put a more human aspect on the events that I always took for granted.

I remember the 10th Anniversary of 9/11. The whole program was on the television. It was Sunday morning, and church started at 2:15 PM for me, so I watched most all of it. What a wonderful way of starting that Sunday. I made a breakfast for my family and we watched the program throughout the morning. How touching that was. The 9/11 memorial is on my list of places to visit someday.

Thus, the video gives me memories of my own experiences of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment