Saturday, December 3, 2011

2 Nephi 5

Nephi's people did "prosper exceedingly" and "lived after the manner of happiness" (11, 27). That sounds absolutely fantastic!! Just those words themselves cause me to want to have what they had. However, I already am blessed in that way.

There are several ways that we can prosper. Today we normally turn our thoughts to material goods including money and status symbols when we think of prospering. But President Heber J. Grant taught was true prosperity is:
"When I say prosperity I am not thinking of it in terms of dollars and cents alone. . . . What I count as real prosperity . . . is the growth in a knowledge of God, and in a testimony, and in the power to live the gospel and to inspire our families to do the same. That is prosperity of the truest kind” (Gospel Standards, comp. G. Homer Durham [1941], 58; also cited by James E. Faust, in Conference Report, Oct. 1998, 74; or Ensign, Nov. 1998, 59).
We just had the American holiday of Thanksgiving. We counted the things we are grateful for. When you make that list what are some of the things that usually top it? Family. Friends. God. The food set before you. America. The things we are most grateful for are not usually the new flat screen TV, the awesome iPad 2, or the new smartphone. We are grateful for other things that is not usually counted among "prosperity".

Now what is the "manner of happiness" spoken about in verse 27? President Gordon B. Hinckley has said:

“The Lord wants us to be happy. Nephi said a great thing: ‘And . . . we lived after the manner of happiness.’ (2 Ne. 5:27.) What a wonderful thing. I want my children to be happy. I want them to do well. I want them to live well and live rightly, properly; and, in the same way, except that my Father in Heaven’s love reaches beyond any power of love that I have. I think He wants His sons and daughters to be happy. Happiness comes of righteousness. ‘Wickedness never was happiness.’ (Alma 41:10.) Sin never was happiness. Selfishness never was happiness. Greed never was happiness. Happiness lies in living the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ” (“Fast-Paced Schedule for the Prophet,” Church News, Apr. 20, 1996, 3).
When we live in the manner of happiness, I imagine a group of people living in such a way to cause them to find joy. That's the gospel in essence.  If we follow God and truly live the gospel, we will be living in the manner of happiness. I've discovered that in my own life.

Once, in high school, I was having one of those days where I was just down. I don't even remember why. I just know I wasn't feeling as great as I could be. Well, I had an acquaintance that I only saw once a day, if that, who came over to me and bluntly broke into my self-pitying mind by saying, "Why are you always so happy?" Now, she didn't know how ironic that question was on this particular day. I didn't feel happy at all. But that was her question, "Why are you always so happy?" I was so shocked by the question I think I said, "I have no idea." The moment after I said that I knew the answer, so I told her. I said, "It's because of how I live my life." In further explaining, I mentioned how I go to church every Sunday and then have seminary every morning before school. I mentioned how I don't just attend church, I live what I believe. In living it, I have found a happiness and satisfaction in life I couldn't have found any other way. The gospel is the path of happiness. It gives you the most and the truest joy. Even on those difficult days. You know who you are. You know where you came from. You know where you are going. You know the way to get there. Is it any wonder why I was always happy?


In True to the Faith under "Happiness", it reads:
"Your happiness can be contagious. As others observe you, they may desire to know the source of your joy. Then they can also experience the happiness that comes through living the gospel of Jesus Christ."

Being truly happy doesn't mean that I've not had hard and difficult days. Happiness is more of a choice you make in life. While living "after the manner of happiness" the Nephites still had their wars and contentions with the Lamanites (27, 34). You find strength in that which makes you happy, the gospel of Jesus Christ, and find that it can sustain you through such times.

So remember to count your blessings and live in the manner of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment