Saturday, December 31, 2011

2 Nephi 33

One of my favorite callings I've had is to teach; teach Relief Society, teach Young Woman's, teach Primary, etc. I loved teaching. But I've always had to recognize that I really wasn't the teacher, that I'm more the conductor of a discussion. In fact, the Holy Ghost is the real teacher. For me to be an effective teacher, I need to invite the Spirit into the lesson. I need to follow promptings and and say what the Spirit wishes me to say. Then it's up to the students of the class to allow the Spirit to bring the message into their hearts and inspire them.
Nephi says:
"For when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men" (1).
Elder Dallin H. Oaks said:
President Hinckley stated an important corollary to the command to teach by the Spirit when he issued this challenge: 
"We must . . . get our teachers to speak out of their hearts rather than out of their books, to communicate their love for the Lord and this precious work, and somehow it will catch fire in the hearts of those they teach? [Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley (1997), 619–20]. 
That is our objective—to have love of God and commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ "catch fire" in the hearts of those we teach (in Conference Report, Oct. 1999, 103; or Ensign, Nov. 1999, 80).
For me to be an effective teacher, I need to invite the Spirit into the class. But also into mine own heart, and speak from that. I need to bear testimony of what I am teaching as I teach it. I have to show how much it means to me. Perhaps then others will learn too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment